Tax Services

Specializing in taxes for small businesses and nonprofits

Individual income taxes advance nc

Individual Income Tax Services

We only work with individuals who we also prepare their small business taxes. We do not take on individuals who do not own a business. 

Small business tax services

Small Business Tax Services

We help Sole Proprietors, S-Corps & Partnerships file business taxes quarterly and annually, and offer tax planning and sales tax filing.

Nonprofit tax services advance nc

Nonprofit Tax Services

We help all sizes of nonprofits prepare and file the Form 990 that matches their nonprofit type and requirements from the IRS.

How to Work With Us

Make an

Collect all of your paperwork

Return everything with your organizer

We’ll file
your taxes

To begin working on your taxes, we’ll need all tax documentation for this year along with a copy of at least the prior year’s tax return, and your completed tax organizer, which we send to clients after our first call.

Here are examples of items needed to complete your tax organizer:

  • W-2s from your employers
  • 1099-MISC forms for self-employment income
  • 1099-INT (interest) and 1099-DIV (dividends) forms
  • 1099-B forms showing brokerage trades in stocks and bonds
  • K-1 forms for income from a partnership, small business, or trust
  • 1099-SSA form showing Social Security received
  • Any additional income not reported on a W-2 or 1099 form
  • Contributions to your traditional or SEP-IRA
  • Day care or child care costs
  • Self-employment income, rental income, or alimony
  • Mortgage interest
  • Student Loan Interest
  • Any other items as this list is not all inclusive.

If you own a business, are a contractor or receive a 1099 for work you’ve done, please see the Small Business Taxes section here.

Sole Proprietorships and LLCs
If you have a business, are a contractor or receive a 1099 for work, then you need to file taxes for your business.

As a sole proprietor or LLC, your business taxes will get filed under personal taxes.

S-Corps and Partnerships
S-Corps, Partnerships and C-Corps require a separate tax return from your personal return. These are due March 15th and must be filed first, before a personal return can be filed.

We meet semi-annually with our S-Corps and C-Corp clients, or preferably, handle their monthly bookkeeping.

Nonprofits that are 501c3’s must file an annual tax return with the IRS. There are 3 types of 990 tax returns depending on the organization’s size and revenue. We file the 990N (e-postcard), 990EZ and the full 990 return. Please contact us to schedule a consultation.

Frequently Asked Questions

1) What if I can't afford to pay the tax I owe?

Even if you can’t afford to pay your taxes you still need to file your return. There are many options available to you through the IRS and in your State. Failing to file and/or pay your taxes on time will result in interest and penalties. The easiest option is the installment agreement that allows you to pay the taxes over time. Remember, you will still incur penalties and interest while paying through an installment plan but you will be considered in compliance with the IRS or the State as long as you make your payments as agreed. No nasty IRS or State letters!

2) Is filing an extension a bad thing?

The short answer is no. The IRS does not red flag you or consider it an issue if you file an extension for filing your tax return. Many people file extensions. You are granted an extension of the time to file but not time to pay the tax you owe. You need to make sure that you have paid as much of the tax you can estimate by the tax deadline (4/15) so you will not have penalties or interest. Question? We can help!

3) How can I reduce the taxes I owe?

The IRS and State tax codes allow for many deductions and credits. This is how you reduce the tax you owe. Knowing which deductions and credits you can legally take is important. Contributing to a retirement plan and having dependents are two of the most well known deductions and credits available. There are so many more for individuals and for businesses. Give us a call and we can help you maximize all your deductions and credits to legally reduce what you owe.

4) I haven't filed taxes in a couple of years. I got behind. What do I do?

Give us a call. We want to help you get in compliance with the taxing authorities and get you caught up. The goal is to get you filing annually so you don’t incur penalties and interest. None of us want to have those dreaded letters from the IRS or the State. Why live with this hanging over you any longer? If you are reading this and this is you, know we can help. We offer judgment-free expertise to get you current on your taxes.

Book a call to see if we’re accepting new tax clients this season.